Creating a (horizontal) timeline with GP and GB

Hi Tom,

I’ve been experiencing with the new features of GenerateBlocks Pro and it feels outstanding. Congratulations for the excellent work you and your team has done.

That there are some things I’d like to see as a feature in GB, but I know that you also want to keep things simple. I also feel that with these new features, GB Blocks feels so great that I’m starting to wonder if some of those feature are possibly without adding any other premium plugin. For example, let’s talk about interactive timelines…

I could create a Custom Post Type for timeline events, of course with some Custom Fields like date, title, description and optional fields like image, video or post/page. I could add an icon field to the date, to make things more interesting.

Then I could create an Element as a Content template hook for a specific “Timeline” page and for each “Event” CPT, or even have more than one style for “Events” and decide which template to use while editing the event (for example, decide if where to put the text: above or below the date, or image: left or right from the description.

All this could be included in a container with a “swipe” function to add this carousel effect of an horizontal timeline. Of course this wouldn’t be needed if the timeline would be vertical…

Is all this possible with GB Pro? I guess some things would require some coding, like the swiping effect. Glad to hear from you and all the community your experience and ideas around this.

Regards!

Hi, thanks for the question. Interesting. I would also welcome a timeline feature. Greetings.

I don’t feel like this is not as relevant to create a new topic, but I’ll like to share an update on my search of creating a timeline with GenerateBlocks.

I tried all the available free plugins in the WordPress.org repository and some other trials for premium ones, and excepting the ones built for builders like Elementor or Beaver Builder (that I couldn’t try for obvious reasons), practically all timelines offers custom fields and very limited configuration, whether on style or design. None of them have Gutenberg compatibility, beyond a shortcode or a timeline builder with limited customization, strictly to what the plugin offers.

Well… I found the one. It’s not an horizontal timeline, just a regular one. Advanced Timeline Block is a -completely free- timeline plugin fully integrated with Gutenberg blocks. For each item, you can add native blocks, including the ones from GB (Pro), like containers and headlines.

Having the option of adding containers and the rest of GB elements into a timeline item allows us to style however we want the timeline. There are some small things that limit the timeline, like the icon in the line and the plain text field on the opposite content, but this is no more from what you can do.

I hope this helps for those looking for a timeline solution for your websites built with GenerateBlocks.